The obligatory introspective start-of-travels entry follows. I’ll try and stick to interesting stories after this, although it may be a while before I can post anything since there will be no internet access until the end of October. I may not be able to immediately check or respond to emails, but please send them, and I promise I’ll write when I can.
Travels always start off differently, and this one seems to be starting off with a sense of who and what has been left behind — probably moreso than any other trip I’ve ever done, there were reasons to stay before leaving this time. Even so, South Georgia island is as close to a perfect place in nature as exists anymore in the world, and it affords the rare guarantee of simplifying life in a way that reveals what’s important. November 15 seems like a long way off, but hopefully when that date rolls around it will be possible to return to a life that is unchanged, but to do so as a somewhat different person.
Here’s the itinerary in full:
- 30 Sep to 02 Oct – Travel from OAK to the Falklands (via LAX, Santiago & Puerto Montt)
- 02 Oct to 06 Oct – Crossing from the Falklands to South Georgia aboard the Golden Fleece
- 07 Oct to 25 Oct – Explore South Georgia Island
- 26 Oct to 30 Oct – Crossing from South Georgia to the Falklands aboard the Golden Fleece
- 30 Oct to 13 Nov – In the Falklands
- 13 Nov to 15 Nov – Travel from the Falklands to OAK (via Santiago & LAX)